yield: 10prep time: 15 MINUTES bake time: 55 MINUTES total time: 1 HOUR 10 MINUTES
A very moist and easy to make apple cake!
- 2 or 3 large organic apples, about (300g), washed and cut into pieces (do not peel, but remove the core/seeds)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/8 c (250g) sugar
- 1 3/4 c (275g) all purpose flour (plain flour in the UK)
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder (or 1 packet Italian Paneangeli vanilla baking powder)
- 1/3 c (100g) butter, softened
- 1/3 c (110g) plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh lemon zest/peel
Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)
Make the Apple Cake Batter
- Prepare an 8″ springform pan by spraying with oil (or butter) and lining in parchment paper (sides optional, if you want really clean sides), then spray the paper, too.
- In a food processor, or blender, process the apple pieces and lemon juice until it is almost pureed.
- Place the sugar and eggs in a large bowl and beat with a mixer until light and fluffy. Sift the flour with the baking powder then add to the mixture in the bowl a little at a time along with the softened butter. Continue to mix until completely blended, then stir in the yogurt.
- Add the processed apples and grated lemon rind to the cake batter and stir until evenly combined.
- Pour into prepared cake tin.
Bake the Cake
- Bake for 50-60 minutes (depending on your oven), but test with a cake tester or skewer to make sure the apple cake is done before removing from the oven. If desired, sprinkle lightly with some granulated sugar immediately. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes, then remove the side of the springform pan.
- Let cool completely before cutting and serving.
- The cake can stand on its own, but you can also serve it with a fruit sauce, dollop of whipped cream, custard or vanilla ice cream. I prefer it plain with a cup of tea!