- 1 (250 g / 8 oz) whole brie (Note 1)
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped pecans , roasted (Note 2)
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Unwrap brie and place on a small microwave-proof plate with a rim (so maple syrup doesn't go everywhere).
- Microwave on high for 1 minute 15 seconds, or until the brie is very soft when you prod the centre. Watch the brie as you microwave it - if it starts to puff up too much (i.e. risk of bursting), turn microwave off and leave brie inside - residual heat will continue to melt it.
- Top with pecans, pomegranate seeds and maple syrup. Serve immediately with crackers of choice (choose ones suitable for scooping). I serve this with a spoon and/or small pate knife.
1. I prefer brie over camembert for this because it has a higher fat content (~60% vs ~45%) so it's softer to scoop up. But it does work with camembert as well. I use a standard 250g/8oz size round brie that I get from the supermarket - nothing fancy. Save the expensive brie for eating as is!
2. Pecans come in packets already roasted, but if you happen to have raw ones, roast them in the oven for 5 minutes.
3. Adapt this to your taste! Adjust the toppings as follows:
- Pecans: Use whatever nuts you want.
- Pomegranate seeds: Use anything with a bit of sweet juiciness, like blueberries, red currents or even small grapes, chopped. I opt out of using dried fruit because they are very sweet / a bit too chewy (e.g. cranberries).
- Maple syrup: Honey, golden syrup, blueberry or other sweet sauce.
4. Crackers to serve (I used bagel chips, good size / shape for scooping).
Visit us a Schmidt Christmas Market for all your Christmas Needs!