One of our favorite family traditions each year around Christmas time is to sit down together and watch one of our favorite Christmas Movies. Because Christmas time is special, its fun to add a little extra pizzazz to our popcorn. This year I decided to make some White Chocolate Candy Cane Popcorn and throw in these fun, festive-colored Sixlets.
up of un-popped popcorn (measure it un-popped and then pop it)
1/2 cup of crushed candy canes
2-3 drops peppermint oil
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
dash of salt (optional)
Red and White Sixlets (or candy of your choice)
1. Pop your popcorn and make sure to remove all the un-popped popcorn kernels. Place in a large mixing bowl with ample room to mix.
2. Melt white chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. White chocolate melts better and more smoothly for me when I do it in a double boiler. (Or in a pan over a pan of water on the stove…you can google it if needed).
3. Add crushed candy canes and peppermint oil to melted white chocolate and stir quickly. Pour over popcorn and mix it so that all the popcorn is covered. It is helpful to have another set of hands for this part if possible.
4. Spread out in a jelly roll pan and then while still sticky, the candy over the top of the popcorn. Add a dash of salt over the popcorn.
5. Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave and drizzle over the popcorn. Set aside and let the chocolate harden.
6. Break up into bite size pieces and serve up in a bowl or a gift bag.