- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal , medium grind (Note 1)
- 1 1/2 cups flour (plain / all purpose)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup canned creamed corn
- 1/2 cup / 125g melted butter , unsalted
- 2 eggs , lightly whisked
- 3/4 cups milk
- 1 - 2 tbsp butter , melted (for greasing & brushing)
- Place a 26cm/10" castiron skillet in the oven and preheat to 220C / 425F while making the batter.
- Place the Dry Ingredients in a bowl and mix.
- Place Wet ingredients in a separate bowl and mix until combined.
- Pour Wet into the Dry ingredients, mix until combined.
- Take the skillet out of the oven. Add the 1 tbsp of butter and swirl it around to coat the base and halfway up the sides (or use a brush to do this)
- Pour the batter in, smooth surface.
- Turn oven down to 190°C/375°F, then bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top is light golden brown and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean (or when you poke the top, it springs back).
- Cool 15 minutes in the skilet before tunring out onto serving platter or cutting board.
- Best served warm! It can be served in the skillet or turned out. Serve with butter and honey as well, to take it over the top!
1. Cornmeal - Sold in packets labelled as "Polenta" in Australia.
2. Skillet - I used a 26cm/10" cast iron skillet. You can use a similar size cake tin or loaf pan.
3. Make head - This can be made ahead and reheated in the oven at 180C/350F for around 10 minutes. Or microwave briefly to warm through. Do not leave in skillet overnight - it will take on a metallic flavour.
Visit us a Schmidt Christmas Market