When you want the goodness of a sugar cookie, but you don’t want to spend a lot of time rolling out dough and cutting it into shapes…these Peppermint Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookie Bars are the perfect solution! These Sugar Cookie Bars are also the perfect cookie recipe to bring to your Christmas Cookie Exchange this year!
I took our traditional Sugar Cookie Bar Recipe that I shared with you earlier and made a few changes to give the recipe a sweet Holiday twist. These cookies have just the right amount of Peppermint to make them tasty but not over-powering! Add some crushed candy canes on the top to give the cookies a festive flair for your Christmas party or Cookie Exchange.
You can leave out the Chocolate Chips if you prefer, but I love the extra flavor they give the cookies. You can’t go wrong with the pairing of chocolate and peppermint!
Peppermint Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookie Bars
These Peppermint Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookie Bars are so fast and easy to make. All the goodness of a sugar cookie without the effort. Perfect for your Christmas Cookie Exchange!
Author: The Idea Room
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 18-24 bars 1x
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup salted butter , softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2–3 Tbsp half and half
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a 13″ x 9″ baking dish, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip together butter and sugar until light and fluffy about 3-4 minutes.
- Mix in the egg and the egg white until well combined.
- Add sour cream, vanilla and peppermint extract and mix until blended.
- Slowly add dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Mix in chocolate chips.
- Grease a spatula and gently press cookie bar mixture into greased baking dish.
- Bake 15 – 17 minutes on 375 degrees until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Do not overcook.
- Cool completely, frost and cut into squares.
- In a mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, whip together butter and powdered sugar and half and half until fluffy.
- Stir in vanilla and peppermint extract.
- Whip together until fluffy.
- Spread onto the cooled cookie bars.
- Sprinkle the frosting with crushed candy canes.
These cookies store well in the freezer. So if you have a lot of Holiday Baking and want to take off the workload in the days before you need the cookies, you can make them ahead and then throw them in the freezer (before frosting them) and then pull them out when you are ready to use them. They will need to thaw before you frost them.
Go ahead and give them a try! As always, I would love to hear from you who make them! Let me know what you think!
Read More blogs or Shop at Schmidt Christmas Market