French for ‘chewed paper’, papier mache is made of paper or pulp pieces reinforced with textiles and bound with an adhesive. It is an eco-friendly, cost-friendly way of creating various arts and crafts items. It has been used to create different types of goods around the world and it is especially popular in Germany and other parts of Europe.
Papier mache can be used to make everything from furnishings to architecture, but it is commonly used to create ornamental items. Find out how you can make it part of your holiday design.
How is Papier Mache Made?
There are various ways to make papier mache, but the process typically involves the following:
1. Combine flour and water in a bowl and whisk to the desired consistency. You can cook the paste to make it stronger and smoother if desired. You can also use a resin which will give it a harder texture.
2. Tear newspaper into strips. The size of the strips will vary according to the application, but they should generally be 1-2 inches wide.
3. Dip the newspaper in the mixture until saturated. Then use your fingers to squeeze off the excess paste.
4. Apply the strips to your form allowing them to overlap and run in different directions. Allow the object to dry. This can take up to 24 hours.
5. Repeat the process as many times as needed. Most papier mache ornaments have at least three layers of paper.
6. Paint and decorate the art as desired.
What are Common Types of Papier Mache Ornaments?
Papier mache can be used to create just about anything. Here’s how you can include papier mache ornaments in your holiday design.
• Tree Ornaments: Papier mache can be used to form ornaments you can hang off your tree or anywhere in the home.
• Figurines: Papier mache figurines can be displayed as centerpieces, in windows, on shelves and mantles and anywhere else they will fit.
• Containers: Fun holiday themed containers can be displayed anywhere around the home. In addition to bringing the holiday spirit, they can also be used to hold small items like candy or paper clips.
• Dishware: Papier mache can even be made into dishware. You can purchase a special set that’s perfect for the holiday season.
Note: Papier mache is not just for Christmas. Decorative items can be brought out to celebrate Easter, Halloween and more.
If you are looking for terrific holiday décor, papier mache is the way to go. It’s affordable, eco-friendly, and it produces some great looking designs. Will you be added a papier mache items to your next holiday ornamentation scheme?