Not everyone can make it out to the Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany. If you can’t take the trip, you will be pleased to know that many cities host their own Oktoberfest events that bring the excitement closer to home. Maysville, KS hosts a festival you can’t miss out on.
Read on to find out what to expect when you visit.
About Maysville Oktoberfest
Maysville Oktoberfest happens on an unlikely date. It spans the second weekend in August. The 11th annual edition of the event took place on August 12 and 13 of 2022. It takes place in the downtown section of the city.
Hours are as follows:
Friday: 5-10 PM
Saturday 8 AM to 10 PM
Proceeds benefit the Maysville Rotary Club, scholarships, and community projects.
Guests can enjoy variety of festival entertainment. There will be two traditional bands, folk dancers, a puppet show, a strolling magician, a face painter, and origami and balloon artists.
Here are some special events you can enjoy at Maysville Oktoberfest:
• 5K Walk/Run: The 5K walk/run starts at 8 AM Saturday morning. Show up early and get some exercise in before the festival kicks off for the day.
• Parade and Keg Tapping: The parade and keg tapping are part of the opening ceremony that will be happening at 5:45 on Saturday.
• Log Sawing Contest: The log sawing contest will be taking place at the Second Street Mall at 8 and 9 P.M. on Friday and Saturday night. Prizes will be awarded for 1st and 2nd place. You must be 16 or older to participate.
• Maysville Oktoberfest Kind and Queen Contest: The King and Queen Contest happens on Saturday at 5 PM on the Main Stage. Those wishing to enter must show up in traditional German dress. Prizes will be awarded c/o Lasting Impressions Salon & Spa.
• Stein Hoisting Competition: The Stein Hoisting Competition will happen on Friday and Saturday night at 8 and 9 PM at the Second Street Mall. Contestants must hold a full stein of beer with their arms outstretched. The ones who hold out the longest win. Prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.
• Weiner Dog Races: The Weiner Dog Races take place at Rotary Park on Saturday morning at 11 AM. Ribbons, trophies, and dog prizes will be awarded. There is a $5 entry fee.
• German Auto Show-Off: The German auto show off will display vintage German made autos. It will take place on Middle Market Street on Saturday from 1-5 PM.
• Tug-of-War Competition: The tug-of-war will happen at Rotary Park on Saturday at 3 PM. Teams must have between 8 and 12 members. There are separate competitions for men, women, co-ed, and tiny tuggers. Gold, silver, and bronze medals will be awarded.
• Food, Bier and Retail Booths: Vendor booths will be open throughout the competition serving a variety of food, drink and gift items. Guests can enjoy German biers, wines, liquors, and cuisines.
If you can’t make it out to Munich for Oktoberfest, Maysville offers an ideal alternative. There are so many fun things to see and do. Will you be planning to make it out for next year’s event?