There are many summer festivities taking place throughout the year, but the Tomball German Fest may be the most exciting. It offers the Christmas in July experience a few weeks early taking place over the course of a weekend in early June. It is located in Tomball. Texas and it is packed with entertainment, vendors, contests and more.
This year’s Tomball German Festival will be taking place from June 4-6. Here are some things you can look forward to when you stop by.
About Tomball German Fest
Tomball German Fest originated about sixteen years ago with one oompah band on a flat bed trailer. It has grown to be one of the biggest and best street and music fests in the area. It is the perfect way to celebrate the heritage of the many German families who settled in Tomball starting in 1840.
The festival takes place twice a year in downtown Tomball near the Historical Train Depot. It features four stages of musical performances, carnival and pony rides, a petting zoo and street performers. It’s also a great place to pick up authentic German food items and souvenirs.
Shuttles will provide free rides to the festival from various parking destinations around town.
The festival kicks off with a parade on June 4 at 11 AM. This if followed by the famous ‘tapping on the keg’ and the Willkommen ceremony for German exchange students and their host families. There is also an official opening by the town’s mayor.
Entertainment Line Up
The Entertainment line up is quite eclectic. Here are some things you can expect.
The festival will be hosting a variety of contests that will be fun to participate in and watch. Here what you can expect.
• GOAT Beard Contest: If you have a great beard, consider participating in this one. There’s even a competition for kids who wish to show off the beards they will have some day. Self-care prizes are awarded to winners.
• Bier Stein Holding Contest (for men, women and youngsters): Participants will have to hold a full stein at arm’s length. Judges will be looking for those with the steadiest hold.
• Hollerin’ Contest: Hollerin’ is kind of like yodeling but it’s a little more aggressive. Prizes will be awarded to first and second place winners care of Lustig Holiday Tours.
• Yodeling Contest: This is a great way to prove how German you are. Prizes will be awarded to first and second place winners care of Lustig Holiday Tours.
• Chicken Dance Contest: Get silly with a chicken dance. Prizes will be awarded to first and second place winners care of Lustig Holiday Tours.
• Best Dressed German Contest: Get dressed up in your finest German apparel and get ready to win. Prizes will be awarded to kids and grownups care of Kuckuck’s Nest. Best couple prizes are provided by the merchants of the 300 block of Market St.
Other Live Entertainment:
The festival will feature a variety of German themed live entertainment. Here are some of the types of acts that you’ll want to check out.
• Chicken dances
• Folk dances
• Dance lessons
• Balloon animals
• German music performances
• Tuba players
• Grimm’s Fairy Tale readings
• The German Heritage Center
There will be a wide assortment of vendors at the festival selling everything from leather goods to toys to apparel clothing and more. Here are some things you can look forward to purchasing:
• Shaved ice
• Root beer
• Ice cream
• Chimney cakes
• Roasted corn
• Hot dogs
• Pet items
• Leather goods
• Arts and crafts
• Home goods
• Body art
• Nail art
There will also be face painting and a petting zoo for guests’ enjoyment.
The Tomball German festival is a great way to enjoy a holiday experience during the summer months. It allows guests to get in touch with their ethnic roots (whether they’re German or not) and check out the city around them. Which of these activities are you most looking forward to?